This just in: January was a crazy month for me. A lot happened that kept me away from the blog (namely, a heart surgery), but I managed to finish reading 11 books (across a staggering variety of genres, though only including two ARCs…yikes) and wrote a couple more posts besides.
Now I’m getting back into my groove, hopefully kicking off a killer February and getting going with the rest of what is sure to be a great year! Here is a quick rundown on what I read/watched/wrote/thought about this past month:
For books I already have a review up for, I’ve linked the review; for the last titles that aren’t linked to anything, the full reviews are coming soon. I won’t be posting a review for As Kismet Would Have It, since that one was just a cute novella.
- Lincoln in the Bardo – 4.5 / 5
- As Kismet Would Have It – 4 / 5
- Mooncakes – 4 / 5
- What Kind of Girl – 4 / 5
- Followers – 4.5 / 5
- Hope Never Dies – 3.5 / 5
- Blood Heir – 3.5 / 5
- The Poet X – 4.5 / 5
- A Heart So Fierce and Broken – 4.5 / 5
I haven’t written mini-reviews for these yet, but one will be coming soon, for these and one more title.
- Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion – 4 / 5
- Little Women (the US edition, which contains both Little Women and Good Wives as a single text) – 4 / 5
- Only Mostly Devastated
- Godsgrave (audiobook–reread, since I’m garbage and still haven’t read Darkdawn and want to refresh my memory first)
- Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line
Two of those are ARCs, so I’m really trying to stay on top of all of those. I also just finished reading Vicious and will have a review up for that one soon as well. (Quite a good book, would recommend.)
Other recent posts
- Giant recap of my 2019 reads, with favorites and least-favorites in many genres
- Another Spilling the Tea post, this time in defense of the Goodreads Challenge
- My reading goals for 2020
- My 100th blog post!
- Top Ten Tuesday – newest additions to my bookshelf
- My book haul from Christmas
- A review of The God Game, which I finished in December but reviewed in January
What else is new?
I’ve been tearing through a lot of TV lately–mostly because I was largely out of commission post-surgery–and all of it has been great. I’ve finished, in no particular order:
- Season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Season 3 of The Good Place (and now have to wait for season 4 to hit Netflix…)
- Season 1 of Big Little Lies (and I need season 2, like, now. Also makes me want to read the book…)
- The first several episodes of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- The first episode of Breaking Bad (and I fully intend to watch more)
Beyond that, life is pretty standard: waiting to hear back from law schools, adjusting to this newly-repaired heart (irregular heartbeats totally suck), and getting used to being back at work again. I won’t bore you with more blathering; instead, I’ll just be getting back to my books.
How was your January? Leave a comment and let me know 💜
Until next time,