Hello, lovelies! It’s been ages since I’ve written one of these (I think close to a year actually?), but getting back on my blogging game–I’ve only missed one day so far this month–means that I get to start joining in more of the fun-filled weekly memes, including the delightful Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week is a Valentine’s Day/”Love Freebie,” so I figured I would get back to basics and just list 10 of my favorite fictional couples. Yes, I know, I’m ace, but that doesn’t mean I can’t love reading about the emotions of fictional characters, okay?
This list is by no means definitive–it is a mix of old favorites and then some I really liked from books I’ve read in the past year or so. I’m sure I’m missing a bunch. Please don’t be too harsh on me; I’m still getting back into the swing of things.
Without further ado, let’s begin!
- Vin and Elend (Mistborn) – honestly, relationship goals. So much trust and genuine love between them, and–though this may come as a shock to some of you–there is no smut and very little focus on any physical romance. And yet their love is not even remotely questionable; honestly it is one of the healthiest fictional couples I’ve ever read.
- David and Genya (Grisha trilogy) – yes, there are plenty of people who argue over which of the many boys Alina should have ended up with, but alongside her classic love triangle (quadrangle?), we had this lovely couple spring up. Beautiful Genya and brilliant David, the couple nobody expected, whose love withstands even some major personal tragedies and, you know, nation-shattering acts of terror.
- Jesper and Wylan (Six of Crows) – while we’re in the Grishaverse, of course I have to talk about the Crows. I love all three couples, but Wesper is…the best, I guess. Not necessarily my favorite to read about, but if we’re ranking them, they feel the most wholesome and feel-good. Why? Well, Kaz and Inej have issues they need to work out (though I love them both as individuals, their romantic side is rocky), and Nina and Matthias are both so headstrong that I don’t find them as adorable as Wylan Van Sunshine and Jesper “Not Just Girls” Fahey. They’re cute and awkward and funny and…aaaaahhhhhh my feelings.
- Alex and Henry (Red, White, & Royal Blue) – enemies-to-lovers gay couple with witty banter and the power to spark a social justice revolution? Heck yes. These two never failed to make me smile.
- Jack and Alexis (Wayward Children) – they’re such an unlikely pair–a scientist with an intense fear of germs, in a relationship with a girl she literally resurrected from a corpse–but they’re both so supportive of each other and pretty dang cute. Jack is always so rigid, and it’s nice to see her being softer with someone.
- Sweetie and Ashish (There’s Something About Sweetie) – all of the Dimpleverse couples are cute, but I found these two to be especially great. From their first “date,” where she challenged him to a race and won, to their general constant lifting each other up, they’re a solid feel-good romcom couple.
- Tory and Olivia (Into the Drowning Deep) – something about this lesbian couple, bonding on a ship being attacked by man-eating mermaids, is still shockingly wholesome?? Their relationship was one of the rare rays of sunshine in a tale that was pretty dang dark.
- Nick and Charlie (Heartstopper) – they’re both gay disasters and THEY’RE BOTH SO FREAKING CUTE. I can’t say anything more, I just want to protect their precious sunshine hearts.
- Will and Ollie (Only Mostly Devastated) – this Grease retelling was one of my favorite books last year. You couldn’t expect me to not love the central couple, could you?
- Ronan and Adam (The Raven Cycle) – the Edgy Boi and the Soft Boi is a trope I love. These two bring out the best in each other and I am here. for. it. For those of you who have read the series: “The ocean roared.” I get goosebumps reading that passage. Like, dang.
So, that’s my roughly-constructed list. I’m sure I missed some of my faves and will kick myself later when I realize who I left out, but…we’ll run with it, okay? These are all couples I would wholly recommend, regardless of whether I might have made some glaring omissions as well. Interesting note: 7 of these 10 are queer couples. I don’t know why that is; guess I’m just a sucker for non-hetero things? Certainly not complaining.
Are any of your favorites on this list? Who are your faves that I didn’t list? Leave a comment and let me know!
All the best,
Kathryn (“K-Specks”) Speckels